Thursday, December 17, 2009

I like stories.

I would rather read a novel than an encyclopedia. I suppose that most people would. Many times I have caught myself looking to the Bible as an encyclopedia. I turn to it to see what God says about this or that. I have even counseled new believers or seekers that they should begin with one of the gospels rather than reading the Bible like other books where you start at the beginning and finish at the end. It struck me today (while running) that the Bible isn't an encyclopedia. It is, rather, a story, the greatest story ever told. It is a love story, a true story, a compelling story. And as such it should be read with an eye toward theme and story line. From Genesis to Revelation, the themes are laid out: God is. He is powerful. He loves me. He pursues me. He wins me. He wins. Anyone for a good read?

No comments:

Post a Comment