Friday, February 18, 2011

The Praise of Men

My kiddos are taking swimming lessons. The lessons are proving to be a source of learning beyond how to be comfortable in the water, and the children are not the only ones learning. Getting into the car after lessons the other day, my son told me that he had asked his teacher if she was a Christian. "What did she say?" I asked. "She said that she was, and asked me if I was a Christian." My heart's response condemns me. I was afraid. I like flying under the radar, not drawing attention to myself. Now the spotlight has been focused, the microscope brought to bear. Then this morning, I read John 12:42-43 which says, "Among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest thy should be put out of the synagogue: For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God." Lord, thank you once again for using the courage of a child and the Sword of Your Spirit to get to the heart of the matter in my life. Please forgive my fear and my concern with the opinions of those who will not judge my days.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent reminder! I also prefer flying under the radar. I went to a parenting small group this week and I realized I can immediately put what we talked about into practice!

    Children need unconditional love.
    This is really hard to give them.
    The easiest way is to:
    1. Make eye contact (in good and bad).
    2. Physical touch.
    3. Focused time together.

    I think my hubby and I both need this everyday!

    The other wisdom I gleaned was that if something is simple that means its easy to do and easy not to do.

    *sigh*

    Lots of love,

    Linnea

    ReplyDelete