Monday, April 16, 2012

Cheyenne Mountain 50 K

My husband is extremely talented. He is smart, funny, wise, and kind. He also happens to be a gifted teacher and coach. Mostly, because he is very good at asking questions and getting to know a person's desires and what motivates him. Then he pushes and prods until the "student" believes that he can do whatever it is that he wants to do, and he goes out and makes an attempt. I have seen this happen over and over again, from my husband's successful coaching of multiple high school teams to his friends who he is always putting up to crazy things that they secretly want to do but are afraid to try.

I have also personally experienced this. It is amazing how my inhibitions or excuses melt away before the logic of my husband's motivation. Case in point: I am signed up to run the Cheyenne Mountain 50K in less than two weeks. I did not sign myself up. I was signed up, by you guessed it, my husband. He did not do it against my wishes, but I wasn't sold on the idea when he sent in the registration. What is a girl to do when the money has been spent(and she really wants to try, but is afraid to admit it?) There really wasn't anything to do but get busy running.

I can't say that I am ready. Thinking about it makes my mouth go dry and my heart rate sky rocket. I'm scared, but excited. The lure of the race is attempting and doing something difficult that I haven't done before. It will be tough. The distance coupled with the trails and the terrain will make for a challenging event, but the trails and terrain will also make it interesting. Here is a chance to try out my mental toughness. A chance to try my hand at something that I love.

I have a feeling that there will be more that one time during the race that I will question my letting my husband get me into this, but at the end, I know that I will be grateful that he knows me so well, and that he loves me enough to put me up to it. Now, if only, I could give him a taste of his own medicine?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post: ) How exciting! Have someone take pics if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There might be pictures on the race website.

      Delete