Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sum of Me

During a long run the other day, I had a freeing thought. "I am not the sum of my to-do list." It is amazing how my mood rises and falls with the length of my to-do list. On days, when I can rattle off a long list of tasks accomplished, I feel content and capable. On those days when one challenge after another keeps me from getting into a groove, I feel all knotted up inside. But that is wrong. God does not judge my worth or even my identity by the things that I do or don't get done. I am still a mother, a wife, a runner, a friend, a Christian, a reader, a Montana girl, a Steeler's fan. I still love rain storms, snow, skiing, flowers, growing things, animals, and my family. I have an English degree. I've lost five children. I've been redeemed. I have an eternal home in heaven. No matter the length of my list, I am still all of those things. I don't have to define myself or my success by what I didn't get done today.

3 comments:

  1. Well Said! I have to confess... I'm addicted to making lists.. and being as organized as I can be in my approach to each day.. it is a relief to know that God isn't keeping track of these daily struggles.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad God finished the item on His list of making you!

    ReplyDelete