Sunday, March 10, 2013

"Water!!"

I've been reading in Exodus about the people of Israel's trip through the wilderness. It struck me that when they lacked water after leaving the Red Sea they were being led by God. The writer of Exodus points out that God did not lead them through the land of the Philistines so that they wouldn't see war, be discouraged, and turn back to Egypt. That same guiding God, led them where there was no water. The God that later makes the water flow from the rocks to provide for them in the desert and Who makes bitter water sweet, tested their faith in His ability to care for them, by taking away their ability to see His provision. He withheld something that they needed to live so that they could see their need of Him. Is God withholding from me the thing that I think that I need just so that I can see that He is enough? So that I can see that He is able to provide all that I might need? Maybe it is a relationship, a baby, a routine, an answer, a job, a reassurance, a diagnosis? Maybe He is just waiting for me to rest in His sufficiency so that He can open wide the flood gates of heaven and fill my mouth with the sweetest water that I have ever tasted. Maybe He is just waiting for me to trust His loving goodness? Maybe He is waiting for me to admit that He is enough and that I don't need to claw and scratch and fret and worry to try to meet my own needs? For me it is feeling like I need to have a routine, a settledness that leads to feelings of peace. He wants to be my Peace even when all the children are upset and needing more than I can give while dinner burns and the remnants of the last meal crunch underfoot. Please, Lord, help me to let You be enough today.

1 comment: