Saturday, May 8, 2010

Are you telling the truth?

Nap time can be one of the most difficult parts of my day as a mother. I not only need a few minutes to breath deeply and think without interruption, but I also desire for my tired little ones to surrender and get the rest that I know that they need even when they think that they aren't tired. Today looked like one of those days when I would battle my two-year-old most of the afternoon just to get her to give in minutes before I had to wake her to head to a her brother's soccer game. I was especially convinced of this when I looked in to see her standing up in bed and dancing around with her blanket. After correcting her, we tickled and kissed then I reminded her that it was time to settle down and rest. The next time I looked into her room, I was prepared to enter the battle once more, but wonder of wonders, she was asleep. It was then that I realized how important it is to her that I keep my word, when I tell her that I will be checking back to see if she is asleep. When I keep my word and punish her for her misbehaviour, I am giving her reason to believe all the words that I say. Words like, "I love you," or, "You are smart." When I keep my word and make her obey, I am proving to her little heart that I am telling the truth when I tell her about the God of the Universe and His love and sacrifice for her. What a motivation to take care with the words that I speak to my children! What conviction that I must follow through on the expectaions that I set.

2 comments: