Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Reason to Run

I've been blessed these last two weeks to have some special time to spend with my boys. We've been franticly trying to finish logging our miles for their running club this summer. (We have six more miles to run before Sunday.) I love the running and sharing my love for it with my boys. I enjoy the physicality of our runs. The boys are getting to the point that they are fast enough that running with them isn't easy. There are times that we walk up hills that I run when I am alone, and there are walk breaks sprinkled in, but there are also all out sprints to beat the "bear" to the next goal. The running with them is fun, but the real treasure of our running, has been the time that I've had to listen. They have so much to say that I miss in the business of our days. Yes, I am with them all of the time, but, time to really listen is short. I know that come Sunday, they are going to think that our early morning runs should be traded for an early start to our school day, but I hope to convince them that there is value in our mad dashes up the hill each morning. I'm not sure if I will resort to bribery or not, but the thought has crossed my mind. After all, these days are short. Soon I won't be able to keep up with them, and they will be running their own life's race.

1 comment: