Monday, May 4, 2009

The Gift of the Marathon

Yesterday, my husband ran his first marathon. I am so proud of him. Watching him as he labored along the course and then finished in victory, caused me to think about several things. I wanted to be running. Whenever I see others running, I want to run too. I hoped that he was having fun and savoring the experience. The marathon is different than many events in that one might train and prepare for many months, but not get to finish the race for reasons out of one's control. The race and its running are a gift.

Life is a gift. Each step is a blessing and should be taken with joy and thanksgiving to the God who has given it. Sometimes, I function as if, I have control over the events of my days. But when, I recognize who is really in control and enjoy each step, I have more fun and so do those around me.

Today is my "marathon." Today is my opportunity to relish my gift.

1 comment: