Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pink?

This spring I went with my husband to get a new pair of shoes. I figured that while we were at the running store, I would get my new shoes as well. I always get the same brand and model of shoes. (My foot is rather particular.) They were out of my size and said that they would have them in a few days. When I went back to pick up the shoes, I got a surprise. As she took my credit card, the clerk made a comment that these shoes were very popular because of the color. It was then that I looked at the shoes for the first time. They were pink. Not all pink, but pink in the way that running shoes are any color. I have had many pairs of running shoes, twenty-three years' worth. In all that time, I don't think that I've ever thought about having pink shoes.



For many women, this might have been a pleasant surprise, but I have always had an aversion to pink of any shade. I was especially nervous as my husband has been known to buy me running gear to match my shoes. The ironic thing is that the longer that I have had the shoes, the less the pink bothers me. It is also ironic that due to a series of events, I have been wearing my shoes more but running less, so they have maintained their "new" appearance longer than most of my running shoes. And so, the girl who has always gone out of her way to avoid being girly kind of likes her pretty new pink shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment